College has always been a very unknown territory for me. I mean, I understand why people go& why it’s important but I never knew what to expect my first year going into it. Was I going to hate it or love it? There were so many decisions to make such as deciding on a school, major, and who you’re going to room with; and once I had made all of those decisions I was left with one more: Do I rush a sorority?
For a long time, this was not even a question for me, I wanted to be in a sorority; however, as time went on I heard many negative things about it such as “you’re just paying for friends”, “all the girls are so fake”, and “it’s just a giant popularity contest”. Now here I am, finishing up my first year as a sorority girl and I can reassure you that none of those things are true. So here’s what I’ve learned since becoming a sorority girl:
- You will always have something to do. Whether it’s studying, binge watching Netflix, getting food, or going out- at least one of your sisters will always join.
- Each and every one of your sisters will be willing to help you no matter the favor.
- You’ve automatically gained access to 100+ closets. Any outfit that you will ever need, one of your sisters is bound to have it.
- You will never ever be alone. Living with girls from your sorority will basically guarantee that there will never be a lone moment while you’re at school.
- The girls you become friends with are some of the most genuine people you have ever met.
- You are given the opportunity to raise money for a countless amount of different causes while having a fun time with your friends. Whether it’s your own philanthropy or another chapter’s, you are always guaranteed to have a good time with your sisters.
- You have people who make college just a little bit less stressful& a lot more exciting. Being in a sorority gives you access to social events, study parties, and The Bachelor screenings to make your student life just a little less worrisome.
- They become your home away from home. Not having your parents/siblings with you at college is definitely tough at times. But your sisters will become your new home to take care of you when you’re sick, watch movies with you, and hangout.
- You will gain 200+ followers on Instagram.
- You have found your forever friends. Although college is only the four years, I can guarantee that the girls I’ve met through rushing a sorority are girls that will stay in my life forever.
In the end, I am beyond grateful I chose to be in a sorority& I hope that this will nudge somebody in the right direction to rush a sorority when they come to college too!